Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Back To School

For almost 18 years, my career was being a nanny to lots of really special kids! I loved being a nanny! I fed my maternal needs by taking care of these great kids. But, the truly hard part of my job was when it came to an end. It always did. The kids would get into school full time and the parents just couldn't justify having a full time nanny. So, I would start fresh with a new family. The last time though, I just knew I didn't want to start again. It was too hard and I was ready to try something new. So, I decided to go back to school. Actually, my sister helped alot in my making that decision. We were shopping and talking and I made the ultimate mistake of saying that I didn't know if I was "smart" enough to go to school after all these years! Yikes! Wrong thing to say! I got a complete dressing down right in the middle of the store! So, as I said, I decided to go back to school. I started slow, just a couple of classes, but I loved it! I thought Pharmacy school would be what I would like to do. I have slooooowly accumulated credits for these past few years. Life, death, and illnesses got in the way, but didn't stop me. One big thing changed though and that was when we decided to adopt! When we got our referral and then brought Mandy Rose home, I decided to take a year off from school. I wanted to focus solely on her. The past year has flown by! I have loved every minute of being with Mandy Rose, getting to know her and getting to know what being a momma is all about. Time keeps marching on, though, and this fall it was time to go back to school. I have taken all of my classes at a local community college. Great school, small classes, very hands on, half the expense....but now it was time to move to the big school! I have been beyond nervous about going to the university. I knew my classes were going to be large. I knew that hauling my oversize carcass around campus was going to be challenging. I knew I was going to be one of the minority older students. But, I just decided to put one foot in front of the other and trust that I would conquer this place! While pharmacy school was my original intent, I have changed my major to Medical Technology. When I decided on pharmacy, I was partly thinking I would go to school because I didn't have children. I could devote myself to all the work involved in going to pharmacy school. I could sacrifice and commute home weekly so I could attend the only pharmacy school in our state. All of that changed when Mandy Rose became a part of the picture. Now, I feel really good about the career I have chosen and it won't keep me away from my sweet baby girl! It has been a great first week! I have a great schedule and several very interesting classes! I walk around campus feeling very proud of myself for pushing through and continuing to work towards my goals. I prepared for my first week of school by touring the campus, making sure I had my textbooks, packing my backpack, buying those last minute supplies. The one thing I was totally unprepared for was how much I miss Mandy Rose when I am at school! I know I can't bring her, but in the middle of the day, I would give anything for one of her sweet kisses!

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for going back! It will make you a better MaMa to Mandy Rose and you will gain so much confidence as you get one class after another under your belt.

    ReplyDelete