Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Passing of a Friend

Today is a sad day at our house. We had to make the decision to put our 13 year old cat, Sejanus, to sleep. He is a cat that insisted on going outside! We didn't really want him to, but he would sit at the door and yowl non-stop until you let him out. I told Gary that letting him outside might shorten his life, but keeping him inside would definitely do it!! Anyways, he has been allowed out for the last several years. He, unfortunately, didn't know how to back down from a fight and was not capable of winning one. He started limping a few weeks ago. When I examined him, I couldn't find any sign of a wound, so I thought he just sprained something. But, I was wrong and it got infected really badly. We have been doctoring him here at home (have lots of experience from previous battle wounds), but today, it became obvious he needed to visit the vet. The infection in his leg was quite bad and it was going to cost at least $600 to heal him. It was a difficult decision, but we did what we thought was best. I have complained about him for years....his yowling, his frequent wounds to nurse him through, his propensity for eating and drinking and then immediately yakkin' it up on my carpet. But, I cried like a baby when we buried him beneath our lilac bush.
We explained to Mandy Rose that Sejanus was very sick so the doctor made him go to sleep. We told her that he doesn't hurt anymore and is with God. I don't know if this was the best way to go about it, but how do you explain death to a 3 year old?

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. It is not easy to explain to kids. Having just lost their Pop-Pop we also "lost" a dog recently. The girls seem to understand that they are in heaven and all better now...it still isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to your family...as we know this is so tough. I remember when Trayjan has his 1st death with his Grandma's Basset Hound. As Travis and I told him that the dog, Sadie, was in the sky with Jesus, he walked to the window and looked up and said, Hi Sadie, I love you. I swear, neither his dad or I could even talk, we were crying so hard. We are so proud of how he handled it. I hope Mandy Rose is doing well with the kitty cat being gone.

    ReplyDelete